Your Home

The Australasian Society of Building Biologists, in their Position Statement on WDB, quote the 2011 World Health Organisation statistic that up to 50% of Australian homes are water damaged.

Referencing this statistic, there is a fair likelihood that your home may fit into this category, a veritable disaster for the genetically susceptible HLA positive person.

As the 2003 Institute of Medicine report stated, there are causal links between asthma, allergies, respiratory diseases and a WDB. Shoemaker and the authors of the Diagnostic Process for CIRS, assert that this older literature is out of date and requires professional investigation that looks beyond this simple connection, to the broader scope of the deadly CIRS-WBD.

Poisonous Inside

How ironic that the sanctuary your precious home should provide, can in reality be a poisonous palace of toxigenic ‘minestrone’ that is insidiously destroying your health and quality of life.

Not every WDB however, will have evident or obvious fungal growth. Perhaps, like the author of this site, your Armageddon remains hidden.

Possessions, Clothing and Motor Vehicles

After water intrusion, no matter what toxic contaminant your space now contains,  if you are genetically predisposed to biotoxin illness, your health may be undergoing significant compromise and you need to act now. You may require the services of a professional to test your home. Building Biologists can provide this service. Alternatively you may wish to utilise an Indoor Environmental Professional.

Maybe the small spots on your dearly beloved inherited couch are unsightly but you believe non harmful. Perhaps the ever so slightly mouldy corner of your family games room seems fairly innocuous and a low priority to fix. Accordingly you may have a beloved leather jacket that you store in a cupboard with water damage. Maybe you are in a rental property and the interior bathroom is plagued with moisture and mould due to no window, and the property agent thinks you are making an unnecessary fuss.

Perhaps a recent storm has knocked a tree through the roof of your office, allowing water intrusion and while waiting for the insurance repair to commence you suffer further rain damage. Maybe your motor vehicle has suffered water intrusion due to an open window during a storm or a spilt bottle of drink has emptied a litre of liquid everywhere and there is now hidden mould in the carpet or aircon system.

Mould spores and mycotoxins are microscopic and far too small for the human eye to detect. Mould spores are measured between 1 and 20 microns. Mycotoxins (toxic fragments and metabolites produced by mould) are measured down to 0.003 microns. In order to provide a comparison, a human hair is approximately 100 microns thick.

You may not be able to see what is harming you as you inhale microscopic poison every time you are in your toxic space (home, car, office, school, public building).

Certainly the science of Biotoxicity shows us that a dwelling or vehicle with a ‘minestrone’ of Beta Glucans, Aflatoxins, Mycobacterium, Endotoxins, inflammagens, Ochratoxins, Alkaloids, Trichothecenes, Hemolysins and Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCS) can make a human with vulnerable genetics deathly sick.